(NC) The hustle and bustle of this time of year can often mean we spend more time stressing about the festive season than actually enjoying it. Here are some tips for being present, having fun and documenting those special memories.
1. Find local activities. After many events got cancelled last year, municipalities and businesses are stepping up to offer socially distanced outdoor experiences this season. From mulled wine tastings for the grownups to magical drive-thru light shows for the kids, there’s something for everyone. Check your local paper for listings.
2. Photograph the season. We tend to reserve all our photo-taking for Christmas Day, but holiday spirit shines throughout late November and most of December. Whether it’s picking out the perfect evergreen at the tree farm, decorating your home or wrapping presents, be sure to capture all those treasured moments.
3. Transform your to-do list. There are plenty of tasks you must do, so why not take the ones you’re dreading most and turn them into something fun? For instance, if you have no idea what to buy grandma, try having a friendly competition in the family — whoever has the best suggestion wins a small treat or is relieved from an evening of dish duty. Or, hate baking dessert? Use it as an excuse to sample local bakeries to find a tasty, ready-made pie or cake.
4. Go on a nature walk. Take a breather from your obligations and re-energize by connecting with nature. Visit your neighbourhood park after a fresh snowfall for a dose of calm. This is also a perfect time to pick up some pinecones and greenery for your décor and take a few pictures that portray the beauty of winter.
5. Embrace candid moments. Stiff, posed portraits are so outdated. Instead of failing to get everyone together for the perfect group photo, casually snap a few pictures throughout a party to capture what the event was really like. This is especially a good idea for kids, who can rarely sit still when they’re excited.
Whether you’re shooting people or nature, you’ll capture better detail take better photos with the right camera, like a top-rated one from Sony. The brand has a range of high-quality mirrorless cameras, from enthusiast to pro. Look for retailers that price match like Henry’s, which will beat the advertised price from another retailer by 10 per cent of the difference.